Every Which Way but Loose is a 1978 film directed by James Fargo from the screenplay written by Jeremy Joe Kronsberg.
The action comedy film stars Clint Eastwood(who was 48 years old at the time of filming) in the lead role of a trucker and brawler roaming in search of his lost love throughout the American west.
Even though, critiques were not nice to the film, the film become an enormous hit. Produced by Robert Daley under The Malpaso Company and distributed by Warner Bros Entertainment, the movie become a box office hit and grossed over $100.3 Million under a budget of $5 Million.
Every Which Way but Loose Filming Locations
Every Which Way but Loose whole movie was filmed in Colorado, New Mexico, and California inside the United States. Principal filming began on 19 April 1978 and wrapped up on 3 July of the same year. Most of the scenes were filmed inside California like 1985 western drama Pale Rider.
Los Angeles, California
The fruit stand scene was shot at State Route 126. Palomino Nightclub located at 6907 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood California was used for filming purposes.
Moreover, the Palomino is a real country western nightclub located in North Hollywood. Other than that, Sun Valley, Ukiah, Van Nuys, San Fernando and Bakersfield.
Moreover, San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles played a vital role in the filming of Clint Eastwood film. The Sybil’s diner scene was shot in an Olympic Coffee shop located at 12192 San Fernando Rd, Sylmar.
El Potro Bar – 1113 San Fernando Road was another important shooting location inside San Fernando. The place is shown as original Carter’s place where Philo stops to drink. Philo’s residence was also located at 11847 Peoria Street, Sun Valley inside LA.
The oldest store located at 511, 6th Street, Colorado inside the historic Georgetown was utilized for filming purposes along with some parts of Aurora and Denver.
Zanza Bar scene took place on today’s Colfax Avenue, Aurora, Colorado. The place become famous after Clint Eastwood film. Fritz Manes served as the bartender in the 1978 film. Sondra Locke sang her own songs in the bar.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
The scene featuring a motel where Philo steps out with orangutan Clyde of a stranger’s pickup truck was filmed at Cottonwood Court, 1742 Cerrillos Road, New Mexico.
A few scenes were filmed in Albuquerque and Taos. Other than that, J.W. Eaves Movie Ranch – 75 Rancho Alegre Road was used for filming some jungle scenes. Probably, the loose fishing scene was filmed there.
Any Which Way You Can Filming Locations
‘Any Which Way You Can’, the second part of the film “Every Which Way but Loose” was mostly filmed inside Jackson Hole, Wyoming during 1980. The Jackson Hole airport has also been featured along with Town Square and Snow King Resort Hotel.
The film served as a direct sequel to the 1978 film starring the same cast and orangutan Clyde. California Living Museum located at 14000 Alfred Harrell Highway, Bakersfield, Kern was used to film some pivotal scenes.
Cast of Every Which Way but Loose
- Clint Eastwood as Philo Beddoe
- Sondra Locke as Lynn Halsey-Taylor
- Geoffrey Lewis as Orville
- Manis the Orangutan as Clyde (as Manis)
- Roy Jenson as Woody
- James McEachin as Herb
- William O’Connell as Elmo
- John Quade as Cholla
- George Chandler as Clerk at D.M.V.
- Dan Vadis as Frank
- Walter Barnes as Tank Murdock
- Gregory Walcott as Putnam
- Ruth Gordon as Ma
- Jerry Brutsche as Sweeper Driver
- Bill McKinney as Dallas
- Beverly D’Angelo as Echo
- Joyce Jameson as Sybil
- Cary Michael Cheifer as Kincaid’s Manager
- Hank Worden as Trailer Court Manager
- Janet Cole Notey as Girl at Palomino (as Janet Louise Cole)
- Chuck Hicks as Trucker
- Tim Irwin as Bandleader
- Sam Gilman as Fat Man’s Friend
- Billy Jackson as Bettor
- Richard Jamison as Harlan
- Timothy P. Irvin as M.C. at Zanzabar
- Jeremy Joe Kronsberg as Bruno (as Jeremy Kronsberg)
- Michael Mann as Church’s Manager
- Lloyd Nelson as Bartender
- Jackson D. Kane as Man at Bowling Alley
- Al Silvani as Tank Murdock’s Manager
- George Orrison as Fight Spectator
- William J. Quinn as Kincaid
- Tom Runyon as Bartender at Palomino
- Bruce Scott as Schyler
- Thelma Pelish as Lady Customer
- Fritz Manes as Bartender at Zanzabar
- Hartley Silver as Bartender
- Al Stellone Al Stellone … Fat Man
- Jan Stratton as Waitress
- Gary Davis as Biker
- Mike Wagner as Trucker
- Guy Way as Bartender
- George P. Wilbur as Church (as George Wilbur)
- Scott Dockstader as Biker
- Gene LeBell as Biker
- Chuck Waters as Biker
- Jerry Wills as Biker
- Orwin C. Harvey as Biker (as Orwin Harvey)