The Lost Daughter is a psychological drama film directed and written by Maggie Gyllenhaal whose story is based on the novel of the same title by an Italian author, Elena Ferrante. It stars Olivia Colman as Leda who is a divorced lady and a mother to a girl who becomes obsessed with another woman and her daughter, her mind becomes flooded with the choices she made and thoughts about the life she is living right now. The film has premiered on 27 Dec 2021 on Netflix and is going well considering the overall rating of 7 on IMDb.
Where was The Lost Daughter filmed? What were the filming locations?
The Lost Daughter was filmed in Spetses, Greece during Sep 2020. According to The Times, the shooting took place over 28 sun-kissed days on the Spetses island of Greece. It was supposed to film in New Jersey but the lockdowns due to Covid-19 pandemic has changed the shooting plans of director and the crew ended up shooting in Spetses island located near the Athens. Spetses is known for its picturesque towns and rich cultural heritage that you can explore via foot. Maggie also shared a beautiful photo of her along with her husband on Instagram.
Netflix has released various TV Dramas and series that filmed outside the US like Kitz, Stay Close. etc.
The Lost Daughter Cast
- Olivia Colman as Leda
- Jessie Buckley as Young Leda
- Dakota Johnson as Nina
- Peter Sarsgaard as Professor Hardy
- Alexandros Mylonas as Professor Cole
- Ed Harris as Lyle
- Dagmara Dominczyk as Callie
- Vassilis Koukalani as Maurice
- Jack Farthing as Joe
- Robyn Elwell as Bianca
- Isabelle Della-Porta as Older Martha
- Abe Cohen
- Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Toni
- Panos Koronis as Vassili
- Alba Rohrwacher as Female Hiker
- Paul Mescal as Will
- Athena Martin Anderson as Elena (as Athena Martin)
- Spyros Maragoudakis as Rough Boy 1
- Konstantinos Samaa as Rough Boy 2
- Ellie Mae Blake as Martha (as Ellie Blake)
- Alma Stansil as Babysitter
- Daniela Babek as Female Italian Scholar
- Nikos Poursanidis as Male Hiker
- Ellie James as Older Bianca
- Emmanouela Zacharopoulou as Woman at Ticket Window
The story of The Lost Daughter follows a college professor who confronts her past memories after meeting an energetic young woman and her daughter during her trip to Italy. Moreover, the obsession of the professor allows her to become a child herself and her daughter loved that mood of her and wants to stay on forever like that. But the ending will blow your mind. After watching the film, comment your opinions what do you think Leda is dead or alive on the beach? It’s really hard to interpret but in my opinion she definitely survived and open her eyes somewhere far away from that place.