Hotel Portofino is a British Italian period drama series directed by Adam Wimpenny and written by Matt Baker. It stars Natasha McElhone, Louisa Binder, Oliver Dench, Lucy Akhurst, and Elizabeth Carling in the main role along with the other cast members. Likewise The Essex Serpent, the period series follows Bella and her mystery that unveils in the British Hotel. However, Bella is a matriarch who wants her lavish hotel to be a home away for other travelers.
Where was Hotel Portofino filmed?
Hotel Portofino was filmed inside Portofino, Italy and Opatija town of Croatia during summer 2021. The filming began in the Italian landscapes in May 2021 and wrapped up in July 2021 inside the Croatian province.
Portofino is an actual fishing holiday resort and a commune located in the Metropolitan city of Genoa on the Italian Riviera. The production team setup a stage to film the beauty of Italian site and additionally capture Christ of the Abyss, Oratory of Santa Maria Assunta, and other popular sites.
Opatija is a coastal town and municipality of Primorje-Gorski Kotar County in Western Croatia. The tourist resort is located on the Kvarner Gulf by the Adriatic sea.
Also, the town is famous for its Mediterranean climate and historic buildings of the Austrian Riviera. This is the place where most of the series was filmed, director shared the photos while filming.
The crew members went to shoot some exterior scenes in the regional capital Rijeka which is also the main city of Primorje-Gorski Kotar County and is the principal seaport in Croatia after Zagreb and Split.
Croatia is less popular for filming but still there are some shows that were filmed at the same place are Tribes of Europa, Game of Thrones, Succession, Nightfall, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, etc. Movies and TV shows filmed in Italy are Netflix Toscana, My Brilliant Friend, The Lost Daughter, Fate The Winx Saga, The Old Man series, That Dirty Black Bag, 365 Days sequel, Medici, etc.
Cast of Hotel Portofino
- Natascha McElhone as Bella Ainsworth
- Louisa Binder as Constance March
- Carolina Gonnelli as Paola
- Oliver Dench as Lucian Ainsworth
- Olivia Morris as Alice Mays-Smith
- Mark Umbers as Cecil Ainsworth
- Claude Scott-Mitchell as Rose Drummond-Ward
- Elizabeth Carling as Betty Scanlon
- Lucy Akhurst as Julia Drummond-Ward
- Anna Chancellor as Lady Latchmere
- Imogen King as Melissa De Vere
- Assad Zaman as Anish Sengupta
- Petar Bencic as Francesco
- Louis Healy as Billy Scanlon
- Lily Frazer as Claudine Pascal
- Pasquale Esposito as Vincenzo Danioni
- Adam James as Jack Turner
- Lorenzo Richelmy as Roberto Albani
- Daniele Pecci as Count Carlo Albani
- Dominic Tighe as Pelham Wingfield
- Maya Ramadan as Lottie Mays-Smith
- Henry Tomlinson as Viscount Heddon
- Bethan Cullinane as Lizzie Wingfield
- Rakan Rushaidat as Signor Fanucci
- Glen McCready as Henry Bowater
- Rocco Fasano as Gianluca Bruzzone
- Aleksandar Cvjetkovic as Inspector Ottonello
- Igor Pecenjev as Danioni Blackshirt
- Amalia Culp as Elizabeth
An Italian British period drama series sets in the 1920s Italy when the Benito Mussolini’s branded fascism was on the rise inside Southern Europe. The series tells the story of matriarch Bella who wants to open her famous hotel for wealthy English travelers.
As the series progresses, she struggles to fulfill the demands of her demanding guests and faces backlash from her husband. Moreover, she receives criticism from a local fascist politician.
Will Bella be able to fight against the local politician and convince her husband or she will close her hotel in fear?
Where can I watch Hotel Portofino series?
Hotel Portofino TV series is now streaming on the original network Britbox inside the United Kingdom and on PBS Amazon Channel inside the United States.