Pain Hustlers, a 2023 crime drama film directed by David Yates from the screenplay of Wells Tower, and is based on the 2022 book of the same name by Evan Hughes.
The movie follows the story of Liza Drake (Emily Blunt), a high school dropout who lands a job with a failing pharmaceutical start-up. Drake soon finds herself at the center of a criminal conspiracy with deadly consequences.
If you’re a fan of the recently released Netflix film, you might be curious to know where it was filmed. The plot is set in Central Florida, but you will be amazed to know that most of it was actually filmed on location in Georgia. Sit back and relax as we dive into details.
Where was Pain Hustlers filmed?
Pain Hustlers movie was filmed in Savannah, Georgia, with additional scenes shot in Atlanta, Georgia and Central Florida. IMDb reported that the filming began on August 22, 2022 and wrapped on October 25, 2022.
The roadside motel located at Traveler’s Inn – 5629 Ogeechee Rd in Savannah was used to represent the Palm Breeze Motel, where Liza Drake (Emily Blunt) and her family live in the film while suffering from financial problems.
This beautiful park is home to a large fountain, Spanish moss-draped trees, and Confederate monuments. It was featured in several scenes of Pain Hustlers, including a scene where Liza Drake (Emily Blunt) meets with Pete Brenner (Chris Evans).
This cobblestone street runs along the Savannah River and is lined with shops and restaurants, and is featured in a scene where Liza and Pete are seen walking together.
Atlanta is the capital of Georgia and a major hub for the film and television industry. Several scenes of Pain Hustlers movie were filmed in Atlanta. Moreover, director David confirmed in a recent interview with Screen Daily that they were shooting really fast.
The Pain Hustlers team spent time across multiple locations in Atlanta to shoot the scenes and the amazing part was that, they used no green screens to capture the film.
Centennial Olympic Park
This park was built for the 1996 Summer Olympics and is now a popular tourist destination. It was featured in a scene where Liza and Rick are seen walking together.
Tampa Bay Times reported that the car chase scene was done in October 2022 while the opening scene was done at Gandy Bridge.
The local newspaper of Tampa also spotted many important landmarks like downtown Tampa’s Adamo Drive, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, and Tampa International Airport and Tampa’s Bayshore Boulevard throughout the film.
Central Florida is known for its theme parks, beaches, and swamps. Several scenes of Pain Hustlers were filmed in Central Florida, including:
Everglades National Park
The park is home to a variety of wildlife, including alligators, crocodiles, and snakes. It was featured in a scene where Liza is seen taking a boat tour of the Everglades.
Pain Hustlers Full Cast
The cast of Pain Hustlers is as follows:
- Emily Blunt as Liza Drake
- Chris Evans as Pete Brenner
- Catherine O’Hara as Jackie
- Andy Garcia as Dr. Neel
- Jay Duplass as Larkin
- Brian d’Arcy James as Dr. Lydell
- Amit Shah as Eric Paley
- Chloe Coleman as Phoebe
- Valerie LeBlanc as Laurene
- Aubrey Dollar as Andy
- Alex Klein as Sidney
- Britt Rentschler as Camille
- Michael Kosta as Guy Schatz
- Nick J. McNeil as Randy
- Bella Winkowski as Luna
- Chapel Oaks as Daughter
- Elle Lisic as Daughter
- Willie Raysor as Matt
- Selena Anduze as Kate
- Josh Ventura as Dr. Jimmy
- A.K. Benninghofen as Dr. Bowen
- Chinet Scott as Nicole
- Avis-Marie Barnes as Principal
- Mike Stoudt as Banker
- Lydia Castro as Banker
- Nicole Sellars as Zanna Presenter
- Adrian Enrique Hernandez as Clinic Receptionist
- Rebecca Barnes as Clinic Office Staffer
- Mandi Christine Kerr as Clinic RN
- Joseph Mazza as Neurologist
- Neil Kelly as Jason
- Samantha Kacho as Catherine
- Darryl L Dillard as Podiatrist #1
- Rowan Joseph as Podiatrist #2
- Chris Marks as Jeff
- Erica-Marie Sanchez as Applicant
- Becca Breitfeller as Applicant
- Andrea Laing as Ellen
- Adrian Eppley as Heather
- Greyson Chadwick as Maria
- Hillary Harley as Tina
- Devney Nixon as Pain Clinic Receptionist
- Pat Dortch as Nervous Pain Clinic Doctor
- Jeffrey Charles Morgan as Middle Aged Doctor
- Jay Pearson as Georgia Doctor
- Colby Burton as Ryan
- Omer Mughal as Agent Simonetti
- Cara Mantella as Admissions Officer
- Forrest Conoly as Neel’s Security Guy
- Jamar Rivers as Neel’s Security Guy
- Dustin Lewis as Mr. Jorgenson
- Mary Ann Hagan as Patient Outside Lydell’s Clinic
- Helen Ingebritsen as Patient Outside Lydell’s Clinic
- Alex Van as Patient Outside Lydell’s Clinic
- Quinn Bozza as Undercover D.E.A.
- Donna Duplantier as Jane Yagoda
- Michael Lowry as Neel’s Lawyer
- Josephina Bonea as Forbes Reporter
- Carolyn Jones Ellis as Adrienne’s Mom
- Elijah Forbes as Emma Kowalski’s Son
- Ryan King as Sam Walter’s Husband
- David Kronawitter as Dr. Hartigan
- Jackie Goldston as Judge
- Leydi Morales as Loan Agent
- Abigail Susan Williams as Lindsay – Chemo Headwrap Patient
- Jackson Abram as Matt’s Son
- Tristan Shufford as Matt’s Son
- Alex Mitchell as Liza’s Courtroom Attorney
- Maria Sager as Neel’s Housekeeper
- Olga Lee as Rental Agent
- Brandon Stanley as Drama Teacher
- Hannah Pniewski as Surgical Nurse
- Erin Ownbey as Young Jackie
- Kaysi J. Bradley as Girl Next to Phoebe
- Snowden Grey as Cinda
- Alan Wells as Gambling Anonymous Doctor
- Cliff Lanning as Crooning Doctor
- Valerie Boafo as Extended Stay Resident
- Sharon Conley as Judge Susan Holman
- Lisa Travis as Group Leader
- Desmond Phillips as Bartender
What is the movie Pain Hustlers about?
The film tells the story of Liza Drake (Blunt), a high school dropout who lands a job at a failing pharmaceutical startup in Central Florida. Liza’s ambition and charisma quickly make her the company’s top sales representative, and she soon finds herself at the center of a criminal conspiracy to defraud insurance companies.
Pain Hustlers is especially relevant in today’s climate, as it explores the complex and often tragic consequences of the opioid crisis. The drug that has been discussed in film in Lonafen, that doesn’t exist in real life but the real drug is Subsys that was on the rise in 2000s Central Florida.
The movie is a cautionary tale about the dangers of greed and the importance of ethical responsibility. If you are interested in that kind of true stories then you will love to check The Burial movie, that is based on the amazing story of Jerry O’Keefe.